School history

In 1847 only twelve years after South Australia was proclaimed, some of the first families to settle in John Walkers Village built St Andrew’s Church.

This group of forward thinking, educated people then built a school for the education of the children of Walkerville “according to the principles of the Church of England”.

St Andrew’s School was opened on Monday 23rd September 1850, on the Rector’s birthday, and has continuously provided quality education to the children of Walkerville and the wider community. The first Head Master was Mr William Owen.

The Schoolroom was 20 feet by 40 feet, built of stone with a thatched roof and a bellcote. The Architect was Mr William Weir and the builders Messrs Jones & Bowley. This original schoolroom still stands, incorporated within the new Gymnasium and Performing Arts Centre built in 2010.

Dove Hall was built in 1915 as a memorial to Archdeacon Dove, a remarkable man who was looked upon by the Old Scholars as “the Father of the School”. It was built on the other side of George Street and once more stands alone after the Kindergarten was demolished in 1998.

The School has been part of the community from the very beginning, but today occupies a much larger area on both the eastern and western sides of Smith Street, with an Overpass over Smith Street for the safety of the students crossing between the two campuses.

Today the St Andrew’s School attracts students from across Adelaide, and globally as it is a UNESCO School teaching the International Baccalaureate curriculum.

St Andrew's Pavilion 1915

St Andrew’s Pavilion 1915

Formal : 1917 : 2 Miss Lavinia Porter with whole school in front of Pavilion built by Old Scholars (Cemetery Wall behind)

1917
Miss Lavinia Porter with whole school in front of Pavilion built by Old Scholars (Cemetery Wall behind)

Formal : 1930's : 01

1930’s

Formal : 1931 : 01 (or 1935)

1931

  • St Andrew’s School is a South Australian independent, co-educational specialist primary school providing excellence in education from playgroup through to early years and on to Year 7. Principal Deb Dalwood – an International Baccalaureate School – UNESCO Associated School.