Located in the beautiful, leafy suburb of Walkerville, close to Adelaide's city centre, St Andrew's School is a joyful haven for girls and boys from Early Learning to Year 7. As an independent Anglican School, providing a liberal Christian education since 1850, countless children from many faiths have been nurtured in our caring, family environment.
Our passion is enriching children's lives.
We set out to transform their learning experiences by designing a culture that honours individuality, creating powerful ways for children to express who they are, what they aspire to be and how they can build a better world.
We celebrate our community. Our planning recognises our proud traditions, taking the best of the past into the future.
We cannot future proof our children but we can provide them with the skills and values to navigate a changing world.
To face the global issues, embrace new technology, problem solve and yet develop a quality of life with growth and optimism.
Investment in our facilities is all about energised learning; spaces that are flexible, integrated and model the real world, providing our children with a flavour of dynamic and progressive opportunities.
We invest in 'inspiring a passionate and committed staff', who view continuous improvement as part of life-long learning. We push boundaries to seek optimum learning outcomes for children and staff. Meaningful relationships are paramount.
We want our students to shine. We want them to excel beyond their own perceived potential. We celebrate every child's unique qualities by 'honouring and tailoring learning to individuals'.
Critical literacy, numeracy and thinking skills are embedded in our inquiry approach.
The IB Primary Years programme is introduced from the early learning years continuing to Year 5. The challenge of the IB Middle Years programme is introduced for Years 6 and 7.
Our History of development
Established in 1850, St Andrew's School is one of the oldest Independent Anglican Schools in Australia.
Today, it is one of the few Anglican Schools solely dedicated to Primary education for boys and girls.
The playground between George Street and the cemetery was bought in 1890 for £270.
The Priscilla Barker Room was added to the old School room in 1901.
In 1915, Dove Hall was built as Parish Hall for the use of the Kindergarten.
In 1944 a porch was built on the front entrance of the School to lessen the noise of the trams, which at that time passed up and down Smith Street regularly.
In 1951 a large Kindergarten room and some necessary amenities were added to Dove Hall. The Parents' Club donated the money for these additions to commemorate the centenary of the School.
Kennion House, built in 1925, was purchased by the School in 1984. It was opened in 1985 after being converted into classrooms for Years 1 and 2.
Habich Building was named after Mrs Hazel Habich. In 1989, Mrs Habich left $431,000 to the School because of the good manners of a young St Andrew's boy who offered her his seat on a bus.
Rayner Building, the building that houses our Reception students was dedicated by Archbishop Rayner in 1989. The Upper Primary classrooms were re-built in 1994 and named after long serving Headmistress, Miss Lavinia Porter.
Over the years, the School has acquired land to further enhance educational facilities.
The Early Learning Centrewas opened in 2005 at a cost of $5 million together with the purchase of the Uniting Church tennis courts and the right of way over the Uniting Church property.
The Upper Primary play space was created following the purchase of properties on Church Terrace and George Street.
In 2008 the Eggleton library was redeveloped to become a key learning hub for the School. Several smaller rooms were opened up to provide the large space that is now called the Cybrary. The name recognises the high levels of information technology available to students while working in this space.
During 2009 and 2010, two major projects were undertaken. Following the success of the Cybrary project, 3 classrooms on the upper level of the Lavinia Porter Building were redeveloped using similar principles. The provision of a wireless network, additional laptops, flexible furniture and operable walls all combine to make this the most flexible learning centre in the School.
The Gymnasium and Performing Arts Centre was completed in 2010. The design of the building incorporates the original school building from 1850 with its stone walls and timber ceiling still visible. The centre provides numerous spaces of various sizes and supports the rich tradition of Performing Arts, Sports and Physical Education.